第103回地球研セミナー と 砂漠化をめぐる風と人と土プロジェクト 第3回「南アジアの生業（なりわい）研究会」 との共同開催を以下のとおり開催いたします。
- 場 所
- 総合地球環境学研究所 セミナー室3＆4（⇒アクセス)
- 題 目
- 講 演 者
- Dr.Muniandi Jegadeesan（タミルナードゥ農業大学）
We would like to inform you RIHN seminar held on 29th July, 2014 (Tuesday).
In this seminar, visiting research fellow ofDesertification and Livelihood in Semi-Arid Afro-Eurasia project will give some talks about his research.
- 29th July, 2014 (Tuesday)
- Seminar room 3 & 4, RIHN（⇒Access)
- 16:00-16:05 Introduction of visiting research fellow
- 16:05-17:15 (including discussion)
Speaker: Dr.Muniandi Jegadeesan
Title: Agrarian change and livelihood dynamics of small scale farmer in South Tamil Nadu, India
- In the period from 2000-2012, employment generation is increased about merely 2.2 percent in India. In case of agriculture, which still provide employment opportunities to the 2/3rd of its population did not show any growth at all. Dismal display of agriculture and its allied sector has huge impact on livelihoods of small scale farmers in India. This study is pertaining to Tamil Nadu, southernmost state of India with average rainfall about 850 mm. Since globalization, agriculture in the state has been under tremendous pressure due to various factors and mainly due to deterioration of water resources. One of the important water resources predominately used for agriculture is Tank Irrigation. Hence, this study aims to find out agrarian change and its consequences in tank irrigated villages of Tamil Nadu. We conducted research survey on 200 household from four villages in Tamil Nadu. The results showed that predominantly paddy cultivated villages diversified their crop choices based on water availability and market potential. Sizable proportion of the respondents choose to migrate internationally and grow milk and meat animal for their livelihood support.
- MIYAZAKI Hidetoshi
Research Institute for Humanity and Nature
457-4 Motoyama, Kamigamo, Kita-ku, Kyoto, 603-8047, Japan
Phone : +81-75-707-2206
Fax : +81-75-707-2506